Really Seeing Ourselves

This week, we began exploring self-portraits! Inspired by the artists that we have been learning about and the idea of really seeing ourselves, we invited the children to look closely at their own reflections. They noticed the shapes, colors, and details that make each of them unique.

Using pencils, crayons, and markers, the children created their own self-portraits. Some focused on the shape of their faces, others on their favorite colors or the expressions they wanted to capture. As they worked, we heard thoughtful conversations about identity and connection, how we are each different, yet all part of the same group!


This experience wasn’t just about art; it was about self-awareness and confidence. The children practiced observation, fine motor control, and expressive storytelling through line and color. Most importantly, they celebrated who they are.

We look forward to displaying these beautiful portraits, a gallery of faces that shows the joy, individuality, and creativity of our learning community.

"This color matches my skin."
"I think this ones too dark, I have a little bit of peach in my skin."
"This matches me just right!"
"I have a beautiful smile, it's pink."
"My eyes are blue!"
"Ms. Beth, Ms. Beth I found my color! It matches my arm!"
"I think I need a train on my shirt."
"I'm making my belly and a smiley face."
"I have two eyes!"
"I see myself in the mirror, maybe I have blue eyes."

We will continue our self portrait work this week and reveal the children's creations to you at Parent Teacher Conferences!!!

Be Happy, Be Kind
Sois Heureux, Sois Gentil

Comments