How does your body move to make a cartwheel?

We have noticed that a group of our children are very interested in cartwheels! They love to make them any chance that they have. This morning we took a small group to the gym to think about and make CARTWHEELS! Check us out in the video below!


Before we made cartwheels I asked the children:
How does your body  move to make a cartwheel?
MM: flip over
GH: hands go on the ground
MM: you go sideways
PK: you do it with one hand
AH: stretch!
DS: put 2 hands and then flip
DS: my hands are pushing be back over

While cartwheeling the children said:
GH: my hands are up here (he raised his hands up)
PK: My feet flip over too
MM: you have to go around
DS: I can do lots of flips
AH: I'm gonna do three in a row!

After we finished making cartwheels in the gym we spent some time rewatching our videos and we revisited the beginning question, "how does your body move when you make a cartwheel? The children said:
MM: my hands started in the air first
DS: my hands pushed me over
AH: I was cartwheeling all over the ground
GH: I jumped at the end (he had a little hop that he did when finished his cartwheel)
MM: I put one hand in the air and one on the side. You go over with one hand and go the other way with the other hand.

We were very focused on our hands! Next time we might ask them about what their feet or legs are doing! You'll have to check back in to see what happens next!

Other happenings:
We continued our work on thinking about our feeling and emotions. We asked the children, "What does a feeling look like?" We also had our kitchen space open with the questions, "How can you show care?"








Be Happy, Be Kind

Comments