How Can Paper Transform?

Last week we noticed children being extra creative with paper.
We put an invitation on the table with the provocating question: How Can Paper Transform?
We started the morning reading the book Snippets by Diane Albers.
We talked about how all paper can become something beautiful and that even the littlest piece of paper can add to a creation! We want to try to keep as much of the paper out of the landfill that we can!!! A small group of children stayed in the classroom to explore and create while the rest of the class headed outside to work! Here is our paper exploration!

I want to start with the story of this friend. He kept looking back at the pictures of the book, where there were houses being made out of triangles and squares. He took his time cutting out squares first and said, "it's ok if the square isn't perfect, I can make it work." He then use tape to connect each square and created his base.
"It has to be a square, not a diamond."
"What happens if it ends up looking like a diamond?"
"Then it won't look right, it won't be a house!"
"What can you do to make it a square?"
"I'm going to push it over, it'll become a square!"
Sure enough he pushed and reformed his box to become a nice square as his base for his house!

Once the base was finished he worked hard to add triangles to the top to make his house!
He added color and design to his piece and was very excited to share it with his class.
We talked about how he made it 3D and he loved that, as well!

CP took her time cutting and pasting, making he perfect shape!
She said, "I made Lamby."
She pointed out that Lamby had a head with a long neck and legs.
She was excited that Lamby was covered in bears!
She then began cutting out trees to go with Lamby so that Lamby could live in the forest.
DC cut out fish and created an aquarium! He even made a house for his aquarium!
He then worked hard on cutting out all of the skunks.
He said, "I love skunks! I'm going to get all of skunks!!!"
He even shared his skunks with his friends at our second meeting.


MB went to work on a house like the one in our Snippet book.
She said, "I made a Snippet house too!"
She was so excited to share her house with her friends at meeting!
BP began to create a large structure. He started off making a triangle to go over his arm. He got all of his pieces together and realized that his arm didn't fit into the triangle so he rethought his plan and created a square arm covering!
He said, "I had to do it again, the triangle didn't work but now my arm fits!"
"It's armor, I'm a robot!"


VF created gifts for his friends!
He took pieces of papers that he had taped or glued together around the table to each one of the children working! Very Sweet!!!
CS made gifts for her house and her family!
She said, "I made flowers for my house and my cousin gets the big picture."
AW worked on cutting out the "wood". She said, "I like the wood ones, it's like the forest!"

Our paper transformations were beautiful today!
We can't wait to see where they lead us next!

Be Happy, Be Kind

Comments