We brought our nature baskets outside with us this morning. The kids were so excited to grab their baskets from Friday and remind themselves of all of the amazing pieces of nature that we collected! We talked about the different things that we found on our walk.
I asked:
What kind of nature did we find in our neighborhood?
They answered:
Lots of leaves
Buckeyes
Flowers from the nice lady
Sticks
Acorns
Walnuts
Pinecones
Seedpods
We then discussed how we could sort our nature collection. Some ideas included putting all of the leaves together and all of the other stuff together or putting the seeds together, the leaves together, the sticks together, and then the rest together. We thought maybe we could just start sorting our collection and see what happened. We dumped all of our baskets out onto the middle of the sheet and began to sort!
As we started to sort through our collection the children started to seperate the leaves by color. They created a basket for red leaves, yellow and brown leaves, and green leaves.
The children talked with each other about the different items that they were picking up and how to sort them. Here's some of their conversation:
"I have a leave with yellow and red on it. Where should I put it?"
"It looks more red than yellow, put it in the red basket?"
"I have acorns, what basket should those go in?"
"Let's put acorns with the buckeyes, they both look like seeds."
"Ok, here are all of my acorns for the buckeye basket."
"I have green leaves and brown leaves, here they come!"
"I want to collect all of the sticks and put them in this basket."
"I put the pinecone with the sticks."
Here's our sorted collection. We ended up putting sticks and pinecones into the first basket, then green leaves, walnuts, flowers, red leaves, yellow and brown leaves, and buckeyes and acorns in the final basket! The children an amazing job sorting and catagorizing all of our nature collection! We can't wait to put it to use tomorrow!








Comments
Post a Comment