What a wonderful day we had at the Forest! We enjoyed the beautiful weather as we walked from school to the Forest. As we arrived, we noticed this big worm on the sidewalk. This friend didn't mind at all picking it up and he gently put it into the grass. Afterwards, the children excitedly ran into the forest one after another, until they disappeared. I wondered what adventures they would find through their explorations today. As you will see, they found much to explore and there was even some big risk taking happening with some of our friends including myself. Take a look at all the wonderful and exciting explorations and risk-taking these friends had and, as you can imagine they thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.
One of the many things they enjoy is climbing up their favorite tree, testing their abilities as to how high they can climb and then being confident in climbing back down without assistance.
I found an instrument! It's a drum!
Watch me jump!
As I walked through the forest following the children I came upon this friend quietly engaged at the base of this small tree. I wondered what he might be doing so I took a moment to closely observe. As I watched him, he finally looked up and said: "I'm trying to put this stick in the hole but it's too hard!" He then decided to take it out and began pulling on another small stick that was actually stuck inside the tree.
Oh look! I found another hole in this one. I'll just put the stick in here and I'm planting this too.
These friends were checking out the cool band-aids on their friend' knee.
Hey Ms. Stephanie, come here! I need to show you how to get to the other side of the tree. First, you have to follow me this way and step over this tree and go this way.
There was lots of exploring along several paths and much, much more climbing.
This friend found a huge brick on the other side of a fallen tree.
This friend extends a helping hand to help another friend down the tree.
Now, let's talk about risk-taking. I was being summoned by a couple of friends who had found a jungle. They called out to me and excitedly exclaimed: "We found a jungle in here, come here! Come here! As I begin to go, I noticed this little friend high up on the huge tree that had fallen and was lying on it's side. However, the length and width of this tree was huge and it's branches were high up off the ground. Of course, this friend had no fear but I, on the other hand had a different thought. Nonetheless, I continued on my journey to check out this jungle these friends had stumbled upon.
Come on, take my hand Ms. Stephanie, I'll help you. Talk about encouraging words from a brave friend! I continued to follow her, ducking my head as she instructed me to do as I went beneath the branch. Finally, I was in the jungle! Wow! I love their creative imaginations! Now, I was brave going this far into the forest as I have never veered far from the paths. Both friends led me out of the jungle and as they did, they held up branches so that I could underneath them to get out. I love their teamwork!
Now, back to our fearless friend! He had to figure out how to get back down from this huge tree, but how? Well, it took a lot of thought and a bit of coaching on my part. Even some of his friends tried to help by telling him to go down backwards. As he began his downward motion he suddenly took a little tumble down and landed in a thick brush of branches, caught himself and hung for a minute and then dropped to the ground. My heart felt as if it stopped and began beating again. He looked up at me and said: "I'm okay, I'm okay!" Geez, I don't remember the last time I felt like that. He definitely gave me a scare but I had to realize that children don't fear much! Once he was back on the ground, I noticed that other friends were encouraged by his bravery and decided to take a risk and climb up on this huge tree as well.
Friends had so much fun jumping from this big tree branch.
Lastly, I saw this friend as he trying really hard to reach a leaf. He reached and reached until he finally got it. He was so excited!!!
We, indeed, had a wonderful time exploring in the Forest! One of the friends said to me that the best part for them was jumping off the tree!



























































Comments
Post a Comment