Paper, Paper, and More Paper!

The language of paper is going strong in Willow Room! I was truly amazed by what the children did today, so amazed that I couldn't stop taking pictures! As you know one of our big questions right now is: How can paper transform? As the children worked today I heard them making comments about transforming their paper into something new or adding something to their paper to make it transform! We also have been reading a book called Snippets (which I think I have mentioned in the blog before). We like to revisit stories and see how we can deepen the children's thinking on a topic. As they worked throughout the week we have saved the "snippets" from our work. Today the children began creating works of art that included their "snippets" and it was beautiful!

 As soon as the children realized that I had set the snippets on the table they bombarded the table. At first there was some discussion about how many people could be able the table and the children that didn't have a chair yet had to advocate for themselves so they could work on creating with paper too. Once everyone had a spot to work in the children worked very harmoniously, even teaching each other about how they were transforming their paper. One friend began adding flaps and doors to her work which inspired several more children to do the same! Another friend made a pocket to put save her work in and that inspired another child to make a pocket also. Some of our older friends helped some of our younger friends cut papers and get tape to make their creations come to life! It was absolutely wonderful watch them all work so nicely together! Now I'll let the pictures speak for themselves! We hope you enjoy seeing the children enjoy their work, they showed utter excitement for all that they were doing and learning!

Opening and closing of flaps and books! 

"I made an arrow." 
 CS made a pocket and then showed her friends how to make one too!

"This piece (the orange one) covers my picture and you can move it up! And I made this piece (the black one) so it can pull out of the pocket." 
 "This is 3D, it can stand on it's own. I folded the ends so it could stand up."

These friends talked together about how to write words to the story. They drew pictures, created flaps, and wrote words to JB's story. 

"Mine opens up at the bottom, you can open the front too." 
"There's a heart in the back, it has a pocket and you can use the heart to open the flaps in the book." 
 Some friends worked on making things that open and shut!
 During our second meeting time the children who wanted to share the work that they had done had a chance to just that! They each sat in the big chair and showed the other children what they created. Some children had stories to go with their creations, some wanted to show off the different moving parts and snippets that they used, and some just wanted to show the beautiful picture that they had made. It was a fantastic morning in Willow and we hope you enjoyed the plethora of pictures that we have shared today! We can't wait to see what happens tomorrow!





Comments