The Tinkering Room

During small groups this morning we had a group visit the tinkering room. It has been changed into a paint atelier and we were on a special mission to explore with some new and exciting materials!

The question we are exploring is:
What can you discover about light when working with color?

We begun working with neon paints, the children were able to paint any kind of picture that they would like and then I showed them a black lights! They were amazed to see what the black light did to their paint!

 CK said, "I'm mixing colors to make unicorn colors. I'm going to mix blue and red to see what happens."
After adding black light she said,  "It's working! I have unicorn colors and when I use the light it glows!"
 PH said, "I'm making a house with a robot."
After adding the black light he said, "It's changing colors! The green looks yellow!"

 FD said, "Mines kinda like a rainbow like CK's."
After adding the black light she said, "It changes beautiful colors! It really is a rainbow, look at it shine!"
 SS said, "This is so cool! I'm not going to tell what I'm making, it's going to be surprise!"
After adding the black light she said, "It's so much more brighter! It has beautiful pink! It's glowing!"

The second group entered the Tinkering Room enthusiastically! They were ready to check out the new design of the space and wondered what we were going to work with!
The kids began to paint and then I turned the lights on them. They immediately squealed and wanted to know what was going on. I turned on the black lights and handed them to the children without telling them what they were. 
 Slowly each of the friends realized that the lights caused a change in their paper.
 EK said, "Woah! Look at mine, it's so pretty!"
 MD said, "I'm painting all the colors! The light makes it so shiny and glowy!"
 CS was very patient with her work. She took her time and slowly patted her fan brush on her paper to make interesting lines. She said, "I have a small brush so I can see all of my lines. I'm going to use the light while I paint in the dark, it makes my colors beautiful."
AGP excitedly said, "It's so shiny! I used all the colors and they are beautiful!"

Comments