A Wonderful Donation!

A couple of weeks ago we were gifted two beautiful, large tree cookies! The kids explored with them and noticed that they were rough on the top. We spent last week sanding them down so, as one friend said, "we don't wanna get those yucky splinters." As we sanded the tree cookies so we wouldn't get yucky splinters we talked about what purpose they could serve in our classroom. Very quickly the children talked about the current tree cookie that we have in our room that is a geoboard. So after a little bit of discussion we decided to make the two new tree cookies into geoboards as well. Today we went to work putting nails into the wood! 
 Initially there was some fear (from myself and the kids) that someone might smash their fingers! The kids (and I) were brave and went to work. Some friends asked me to start their nail while others dove in and started hammering. We did have a couple thumbs hit by the hammer but everyone came out of this experience ok!


 Once we finished hammering all of the nails into the boards I asked the children if they could create any shapes on their geoboards. They excitedly went to work trying to create the best shapes that they could!
 JB: I made a circle!
CM: I made a star!
EB: I made a circle and it went all around down at the bottom!
SB: I made a half circle and a triangle!


Thank you so much to the family that donated these beautiful tree cookies! The kids love them and are so excited to continue working with them!

Comments