We have noticed the children exploring with paper. They are drawing, cutting, and taping until we have no more paper or tape! We have seen some amazing animals and scenes being created, one friend has even been doing Origami (I don't think she actually knows she's doing origami) to make animal puppets!
Today we put an invitation on the table for children to do some folding and cutting. Several children came to the table to work and I noticed this friend struggling with her paper. I asked her how she was doing and she said, "I can't do this." I asked her why she thought she couldn't do it. She said, "I can't get the cuts on here."
We talked about how she was holding her paper and how to support each piece as she went down the page. She asked me to hold parts of the paper at times and of course I helped her out. She kept working and pushing through the frustration. A couple of times she set her scissors down and we took some deep breaths together but then she would pick them back and try again! She never gave up. I helped her when she asked but she really wanted to cut on her own. When she cut her final piece she looked up at me and smiled so big. She said, "Ms. Beth I think it's finished, I did it! Let's open it up!"
She slowly opened her paper so see what happened and as she pulled the two ends apart to reveal the fruits of her labor she had the biggest grin on her face! She did such an amazing job working through the moments of frustration. This is something that work on with all of our children and to see her put the effort into her work even when it was hard was amazing! I could tell the result made her so happy. I asked her if she was glad that she didn't give up and she excitedly said, "yes!!!"
I truly hope that she remembers this feeling and the next time she feels frustrated about something she will remember how it feels in the end when you work through your problem and accomplish a goal!





Comments
Post a Comment