As I walked around the room this morning I noticed EK and some friends at a table making a creation on the mirror with flower petals. The friends walked away to make another choice but EK stayed. She cleared all the flower petals off the mirror and started over. I was quite intrigued and wanted to see what she planned to do next. I pulled up a chair, sat close by and watched as she began her new creation. "I only like pink and blue" she said. I wondered what she might be thinking of as she worked. I didn't want to interrupt her as she was really focused on what she was doing. I continued observing for a bit and finally commented on the beginning process of her creation and then I asked: "what are you creating?" She looked up, smiled and replied "I'm making a muddy puddle for Peppa Pig. She's going to jump in it. I need to make George (like George in our classroom, she giggles at that.) George is Peppa Pigs little brother. Take a look below and read her comments under the pictures as she creates this magical story.
Ooh, it's soft right here, so soft.
I want it right here.
Now I need blue for the sky. She moved the mirror closer to her so that she can reach the top of the mirror. She delicately removes the green petals to expose only the blue flower. I zoom in to take a closer look. As you look at the photo below you can see how focused she is on achieving this task. She then purposefully places them across the top of the mirror. Now I'm going to make the sun. She places the sun in the upper left corner below her blue sky.
In the above picture she begins making Peppa Pig.
Take a look at the picture below...this is Peppa Pig. She is absolutely thrilled! I am in awe as I look at her beautiful creation. She is so happy and laughs as she describes Peppa Pig to me.
She moves the top of the mirror back onto the bowl to its original angle so that she can continue working on completing her creation. I would like to say design but she makes it a point to tell me that it's her creation.
In the picture above she is making George, Peppa's little brother.
I finished making Peppa Pig and her little brother she says excitedly with a giggle!
I'm making a heart! She uses yellow and pink flower petals to make the heart. When she's finished she excitedly exclaims "It's a happy heart!"
Now that her creation is completed, she rests her hands on her chin, looks into the mirror and smiles. I imagine being in her place at that very moment and I marvel with her as she giggles. She is very happy for Peppa Pig and George. She says to me: They're both going to jump in the muddy puddle. It splashes on them and then they're going to roll around in it, then they walk in the house and make footprints everywhere!
She points to her work and tells me, "I like the sky better because it's a square and a line. The mirror is a square and the petals make a line. It looks like an "I" because it's a line down." What a beautiful story!

















Comments
Post a Comment