Shadow Building

We had some special visitors come to our school this morning! We were treated to some fabulous music and singing by the high school students.  We learned about the different instruments and about the different sounds the musical instruments made as they were played.  The larger instruments made lower sounds when they were played whereas the smaller instruments produced higher sounds.  The children were particularly excited as they heard and listened to songs being performed by the students from the movie "Frozen."



Due to the time we decided not to caper today but, instead we frolicked with Sycamore.  Earlier this week we introduced a new provocation in the block area for children to explore shadows from a different perspective.  Today, as I sat and observed friends building and designing with the blocks, CM caught my eye.  So, I refocused my attention on her and this is today's story.  
 As I closely observe CM in the block area, I notice that she is looking at the shadow of the city as it is projected on the white wall.  She closely studies the tower on the left side of the wall after she adds another piece to her structure to see if  it matches the shadow. 

She looks at the large cubed block below to see if she needs to add more to stabilize her tower.



She continues on with her work carefully adding yet another block to her design.  She stands to get a better perspective on how the tower looks compared to that on the wall.
 She points at the tower on the wall and says that hers looks the same.  I have to add that to the top she says referring to the very top of the city shadow.
After she completed her task, she excitedly exclaims "I did it! I did it!" And she begins to laugh and marvel at what she had accomplished.  Sometimes it just the smallest details in what you're trying to accomplish that brings out the most joy in that moment!


Comments